Information & Inspiration
Looking for a midwife?
- We are so fortunate in St. Louis to have several Certified Professional Midwives (CPM’s) that serve our community that do home births; click here to find a midwife in your area.
- Explore The Birth and Wellness Center.
- Check out the Mercy Birth Center in St. Louis.
- Wondering what to ask a midwife when you meet? Childbirth Connection has many wonderful resources regarding choosing a caregiver; check out this article to start.
- This is a beautiful photo montage of women giving birth: http://www.inspiredchildbirth.net/video-of-women-giving-birth.html
- This is quite humorous, and is an educational piece for those planning a hospital birth. Unfortunately, we do not have any baby-friendly hospitals in St. Louis. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9KptD3t110
- This is a very brief physiological model of a baby being born:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xath6kOf0NE
- A family centered cesarean – families considering or needing a cesarean CAN have more options! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIcaK98Yg
- Sweet video of the breast crawl soon after birth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNCKd-og3YY&feature=related
TOP TEN Blogs and Articles:
- This is our friend Molly’s blog! She’s an active part of Friends of Missouri Midwives, a childbirth educator, and homebirth mother to three children. http://talkbirth.me/. This is one of my favorite pieces about trusting birth (and chickens): http://talkbirth.me/2011/01/11/birth-lessons-from-a-chicken/
- I love the way my college friend Jessica honestly articulates the joys and challenges of pregnancy, birth and parenting: http://wearenew.wordpress.com/. This is one of my favorite pieces, she responds to others’ reactions to her choice to birth naturally: http://wearenew.wordpress.com/2011/12/01/superhero-frontier-woman-martyr-or-real-mom/
- www.Mothering.com is an online community for all things natural parenting. I really loved this article on the time of waiting for baby to arrive that’s often so challenging to Mamas: http://mothering.com/all-things-mothering/pregnancy-birth/the-last-days-of-pregnancy-a-place-of-in-between
- A lot of women talk about wanting to be “in control” during labor and birth.I think this piece speaks beautifully to that desire and what it usually really means. In Birth & Beyond and Preparing for Birth Refresher we address fears, birth plans, and control in many different ways 😉 http://rebeccaawright.com/2012/04/control-vs-power-some-further-reflections-on-birth-plans/
- Wise words about parenting. Very wise words… http://momastery.com/blog/2012/01/04/2011-lesson-2-dont-carpe-diem/
- www.theunnecesarean.comis a popular blog about birth. Wow–this is a POWERFUL and realistic story. Proof that sometimes birth can heal, but sometimes, it cannot, only YOU can heal yourself and allow it to teach you your strength and vulnerability. There is beauty in every birth, even hard or unplanned ones! http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/10/20/baggage-check.html
- http://mamabirth.blogspot.com/ has inspiring stories and information. This is a great one written for dads and how they can be helpful in labor: http://mamabirth.blogspot.com/2012/04/bro-post-how-dad-can-help-laboring.html?spref=fb
- http://highheelhippiemommy.blogspot.com : mom in Canada writing about her journey. I enjoy how she’s comfortable with her own parenting style “mostly crunchy, slightly mainstream,” maybe because that’s how I feel myself. 😉 She writes about lots of topics and continually achieves balance, which I think is a rare thing in our birth community. Such as:http://highheelhippiemommy.blogspot.com/2012/02/i-want-out-of-hippie-club.html#comment-form Her twin VBAC story is also amazing: http://highheelhippiemommy.blogspot.com/p/ella-and-evelyns-twin-vbac-birth-story.html.
- Banned-from-baby-showers.blogspot.com I just love Donna 🙂 Bradley educator who recently abandoned Bradley for her own curriculum, Texas mom of 4. Says she opts out of baby showers because they do not treat birth with reverence. Real life friend of Mama Birth. Hilarious, definitely speaks her mind! Here is a good post about post dates, among other things: http://banned-from-baby-showers.blogspot.com/2011/06/eviction-notice-get-out.html
Great Books (We could list 100, but here are ten known and not-so-well-known goodies):
- Adventures in Natural Childbirth http://www.amazon.com/Adventures-Natural-Childbirth-Pleasures-Naturally/dp/1569243689
- The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin http://www.amazon.com/The-Birth-Partner-Third-Edition/dp/1558323570
- MamaToto: A Celebration of Birth http://www.amazon.com/Mamatoto-Celebration-Birth-Carroll-Dunham/dp/0670842788
- The Natural Pregnancy Book by Aviva Jill Romm http://www.amazon.com/The-Natural-Pregnancy-Book-Nutrition/dp/1587611783
- The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth by Henci Goer (A MUST READ for those planning a HOSPITAL BIRTH)! http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-Womans-Guide-Better-Birth/dp/0399525173
- Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth http://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156
- Pushed by Jennifer Block http://www.amazon.com/Pushed-Painful-Childbirth-Modern-Maternity/dp/0738210730
- Birthing from Within by Pam England http://www.amazon.com/Birthing-Within-Extra-Ordinary-Childbirth-Preparation/dp/0965987302
- Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley http://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Birth-Mothering-Childbirth-Parenting/dp/1587613220
- Gentle Birth Choices by Barbara Harper http://www.amazon.com/Gentle-Birth-Choices-Decisions-Attendants/dp/0892814802
- The largest and most comprehensive study on planned homebirth with Certified Professional Midwives: http://www.bmj.com/highwire/filestream/367006/field_highwire_article_pdf/0.pdf
- Homebirth safety research: http://www.crikey.com.au/Media/docs/homebirth2-df5dadd9-4e9d-401c-abcb-e921e2fd8a96.pdf http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/2009/08/31/cmaj.081869.full.pdf
- Issues with Induction: http://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(10)01033-1/abstract